Download

Harold Brown: From Cattle Farmer to Animal Advocate - P2/2    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (43MB)    MP4(58MB)  
When we eat animals, we're eating their fear, their anxiety, their anger. It’s because we truly are what we eat.

Enlightened viewers, welcome to Animal World: Our Co-Inhabitants. Today’s program features the second of a two-part interview with Harold Brown of the United States who grew up on a cattle farm and also worked in the dairy industry for three years. During childhood, he felt great empathy towards farm animals. His young heart repeatedly questioned the senseless slaughtering of innocent animals for food.

As a kid, I think the things that astounded me was to watch the adults kill an animal. And it made me feel profoundly sad but I couldn't understand why they didn't look sad, why they didn't feel, express the emotions that I was feeling.

As an adult, he left the farm and became an animal advocate, a promoter of plant-based agriculture, an environmentalist and a vegan.

He has formed his own non-profit group called “Farm Kind” and travels across North America to talk to audiences about sustainability, veganism, kindness to animals, and his experiences as a farmer. Harold Brown appears in two documentaries by US director Jenny Stein – “Peaceable Kingdom” released in 2004 and the re-make released in 2009, “Peaceable Kingdom: The Journey Home.”

It’s a story about the journey of consciousness. It’s about people who were former farmers. There is three of us; Jim Vandersluis who lives in Massachusetts (USA), he had a dairy farm. I grew up on a beef farm and Howard Lyman who ran a cattle farm and feedlot operation, a very large operation in Montana (USA). And through our respective journeys, which were different for all of us, we realized what we were doing was breaking a sacred trust with these animals and that we couldn’t do it any longer.

For Howard and I, there were health crises that kind of knocked us upside the head to get our attention. But it’s also the story about the animals and about how they are here for their own purposes and they want the same things out of life as we do. They just want good food, they want community, friendship, shelter, and just to be at peace. All they want is to be at peace.

It’s a very powerful story, and it intertwines and weaves together the stories of the animals and the people, and in a narrative that shows that if we truly want to find inner peace, which will translate into a more peaceful world, then we all have to take that journey. It’s not going to be handed to us; it’s not going to be given to us. It does not come down from Heaven; the Kingdom of Heaven is in here and that’s a journey we have to take. That’s what the movie really brings across.

Yesterday on part one of our interview with Harold Brown we learned that when he was a farmer he would think to himself “I don’t care” when his conscience told him not to harm animals. He now focuses on a different phrase to overcome personal challenges and to help him in his mission to encourage others to have compassion for all beings.

For many years now, whenever I come into a situation that I'm uncomfortable, I find objectionable, that I want to run away from, I just say, "I care." It makes me feel in a whole different way. Because when you say you care, you have to become engaged. And that is where you become all that you can be. You realize your potential of what you are capable of. That's where unconditional love comes from, that's where unconditional peace comes from, that's where forgiveness comes from, and that's where grace comes from. It's where gratefulness comes from. And these things are very, very powerful.

I look at it this way, that every person I meet in my life, is a piece of fertile ground and all I am to do in my life is to plant seeds. So I look at the seeds of love, of compassion, and peace. I plant those seeds, but then I just don't walk away, because I try to steer them either to keep them in my life, or to steer them toward a community of people that will give those seeds what they need. What does it take for seeds to grow up?

It takes sunshine. It takes light. It takes gentle rains. It takes nutrients. It takes a little weeding now and then. We’re all farmers of compassion. That's what I call it. I'm a farmer of compassion. So that's my duty in life now, is to be of service to other people, to nurture them like seedlings so they may grow, in their own time, and be all that they can be.

Mr. Brown once said, “Since I have made this conscious decision to show mercy, my life has been blessed a million, million times over and I have found a deep peace.” When we return, we’ll learn more about Harold Brown’s fantastic transition to a life-saving vegan lifestyle. Please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television.

Welcome back to Animal World: Our Co-Inhabitants featuring the story of Harold Brown, a former cattle farmer who transformed his life and became an animal advocate and a vegan. Animals are intelligent and loving sentient beings. They feel, think, and shed tears just as we humans do. Deeply understanding these fundamental truths, Mr. Brown is advocating for an immediate constructive change in the relationship between animals and humanity.

We have pets, and we love them; they’re so dear to us. And we will never think of eating a cat or a dog. But we have no problem with other animals, whether they are free living animals or domesticated animals like cows. It's this dichotomy; it's this double standard that we have that one is worthy of our regard and the other is not. One is worthy of our love and the other is not.

But we can learn to love any animal if given the opportunity and they can learn to love us.

The animal agriculture industry has craftily invented labels for meat, egg, and dairy products such as “organic,” “humane,” “cage free,” “free range,” “free run,” “cruelty free,” and “natural” to make consumers feel less guilty about the fact their purchases involve animal suffering. As Harold Brown astutely observes, these labels are entirely meaningless from a moral perspective.

Is there a humane way to kill anyone? No, no. You can’t humanely kill a human being, so why would anybody think you can humanely kill an animal - you can’t. It’s a word that shouldn’t be equated with anything that has to do with an animal food product. If you look at Webster’s Dictionary, it defines the word “humane” with three words. It just says, “To show kindness, compassion, and mercy.” That’s humane, and I think most people would agree with that.

Well, with a farm animal you could raise a farm animal kindly and with compassion, but when do we ever show them mercy? We don’t; we kill them all. So it’s not a word that should ever be used with animal agriculture in any way, shape or form.

You can’t eat humanely; you can’t kill humanely, it just can’t be done.

How would a loving relationship between humankind and animals affect the consciousness of our world? Mr. Brown believes that the quickest and the only way that heaven can be made on Earth is through humanity adopting the kindhearted, life-affirming vegan diet.

Veganism isn’t a lifestyle choice; it’s a moral and ethical way of being in the world. It is surely about what you wear, what you eat, what you buy, but that’s just an aspect of it. The core of it is the moral concern for the dignity and respect of the other, whether that’s a farm animal or a farm worker, because they’re exploited too, in these agriculture operations. The thing about veganism is it’s not about saying “no,” it’s about saying “yes.”

As my friend Will Tuttle says, “Veganism is radical inclusion.” That’s something to think about; it’s “radical inclusion.” In other words, everybody and everything is included in our community, in our circle of compassion, in our circle of love. It’s not about saying “no” to anything. It’s not about saying no, I’m not going to eat steak anymore. It’s no, I’m bringing that cow into my circle of compassion. It’s about radical inclusion. It’s not about saying no, it’s about saying yes. And yes in a positive and peaceful way.

Besides being the most healthful, sustainable, animal-friendly way of life, following an organic vegan lifestyle is the single most effective way we all can halt climate change.

Now look at the new research that 51% of greenhouse gases are produced by (animal) agriculture; they’re our number one polluter on this planet and it’s growing. Your personal responsibility is you ought to be adopting a plant-based diet. You should not be eating animals or any of their products.

People say, “Well, I am only one person, how can I make a difference?” Well, there's an African proverb that I love: “If you think that one person can’t make a difference, sleep in a tent with a mosquito.”

We can all be mosquitoes and we can make a big difference. People will pay attention but our message should be one of love, of radical inclusion, of compassion, of peace and that's how we create a better, more peaceful world is by everything that we do, being an expression of that peace.

With the acceleration of climate change and the suffering of animals in factory farms and elsewhere, the future of our Earth is determined by what we do right now. If we all choose the path of love and kindness, we can create an immediate, wonderful transformation and elevate the level of our planetary home.

I stand on the shoulders of giants, people like (Mahatma) Gandhi, people like Martin Luther King, people like Howard Lyman. There are thousands and thousands of them. There’re so many people out there now. There seems to be a shift in consciousness happening. Culturally we’re starting to see globally people are waking up, slowly, but they’re waking up, they’re asking questions. And we need to be there for them with emotionally honest, factually honest information and to nurture them to be farmers of compassion.

We thank deeply Harold Brown for being a model of benevolence by serving as a voice for the animals and the environment. Indeed we should all become farmers of compassion so that love always grows and ripens on the tree of life. May Mr. Brown’s noble example be an inspiration to all to follow the eco-friendly, life-saving organic vegan lifestyle.

For more details on Farm Kind, please visit To learn more about “Peaceable Kingdom: The Journey Home,” please visit

Joyful viewers, we appreciated your company today on Animal World: Our Co-Inhabitants. Coming up next is Enlightening Entertainment, after Noteworthy News. May the light in our hearts be the key to awakening our true compassionate selves.

Land of beauty and liveliness, South Africa is a country where brilliant colors, intricate decorations and artistic textiles are woven together to create the resplendent traditional outfits of the Zulu people.

The beads show that our African culture is so rich and beautiful, and when I am wearing these kinds of clothes, I feel very proud and comfortable that I am an African.

Immerse yourself in the vibrant hues and culture of Zulu costumes with designer Rose Mabunda on Tuesday, March 23 here on Supreme Master Television’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms.
trackback : http://suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/7356

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples