Lord Stern says to give up meat to save the planet. - 28 Oct 2009  
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend    Print

In an interview featured on the front page of the United Kingdom's Tuesday, October 27 issue of The Times, Lord Nicholas Stern, a global authority on climate change, stated that people need to consider going vegetarian to overcome climate change.

Lord Stern, who has previously served as Chief Economist of the World Bank and as advisor to the United Kingdom, published the Stern Review, an analysis of the economics of climate change.

He is now warning that unless actions change, the future holds temperature rises of five degrees Celsius, which will cause Southern Europe to become a desert and require hundreds of millions of people to move, leading to global conflict.

Explaining that such a crisis would come very quickly, he stated, “Meat is a wasteful use of water and creates a lot of greenhouse gases. It puts enormous pressure on the world’s resources. A vegetarian diet is better.” 

Our heartfelt thanks, Lord Stern, for your forthright call for the shift to a veg diet. We applaud your courage and honesty, and pray that climate change expert and leaders around the globe join in the planet-saving vegan diet.  The benefits and planetary need for a plant-based lifestyle have been affirmed on many occasions by Supreme Master Ching Hai, as during an April 2009 videoconference in South Korea.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Some governments already have policies in place and are encouraging people to go green.But my only concern is that the changes are not happening quickly enough.

We really need to stop global warming now, like yesterday, because I’m sorry to say that while all these green changes are good, there is still one action that must be on the top of the list, the most important one, which, once again, is the vegan diet.

The greenest of all the green policy, the greenest of all the green action, the most compassionate, the most heroic, the lifesaving action, the vegan diet. It will eliminate methane, one of the most heat-trapping greenhouse gases. And this will cool the planet the fastest and give us more time to exercise our green policy
or finding better technology.

This is the most valuable step, the vegan step, that the governments could make, could encourage, could pass into law, could inform the people at large. This is the realistic way, the only way that I know, the only way that I see that we can save the planet right now.